Thursday, April 16, 2015

Tyranids vs Grey Knights, Week 7 of the Shield of Baal Exterminatus

Got two games in with Stephen who plays Grey Knights. He is about to leave Singapore for good so I thought I would get some games in with him. This would be the game for the last week of the Shield of Baal Campaign. 2,000 points aside, let's rumble! 

I brought mostly beta strike units and the army was designed to hit hard in the 2nd turn. 

Flyrant with TL Brainleech Devourers 
Flyrant with TL Brainleech Devourers 
Flyrant with TL Brainleech Devourers 
Hive Guard x3 in Tyrannocyte
Lictor
Lictor
Lictor
Mucolid
Carnifex with TL Brainleech Devourers in Tyrannocyte
Mawloc
Mawloc
Mawloc
Exocrine in Tyrannocyte

Stephen brought an Alpha strike list
Librarian L3 in Terminator Armour and Storm Bolter [Warlord]
Paladins x4 with Apothecary 
Terminators x5 with 1 Psilencer in Land Raider Redeemer
Dreadknight
Dreadknight 
Kaldor Draigo
Knight Errant

So the game started with Tyranids deploying first then followed by Tyranids. Imperials will get to choose who goes first and Stephen decided to start. 

I only deployed the Micetic Spore and 3 Lictors
I was under the impression that the Lictors could take the punishment the Grey Knights will met out. Oooooh how wrong I was.

With the Warlord Trait that prevented the unit from scaterring, Draigo and friends wiped out the Nids out and won the game
In total it took me more time to set up than to play! So we decided to replay this mission in a double or nothing bet.

This time I chose to deploy all my Mawlocs as well (apologies for the proxies)

Stephen took first turn and shunted the Dreadknights forward

This time the GK did not manage to wipe me from the table

Thus allowing me to play! 

Escapee

While I lost most of my army, I still had quite a bit in reserve

Turn 2 and all my units arrive

Managed to whittle Draigo's unit down but didn't manage to take him down

Flyrants really went to work but the rest of the army not so effective

Draigo and gang charges into the Mawloc and killed it

While the other Mawloc died to the Dreadknight

The Imperial Knight took out the Exocrine

And the other Dreadknight takes apart the Carnifex
My army was falling apart fast with the high number of Force weapons running around. I am getting this feeling that Monstrous Creatures do not work against these Grey Knights
Stephen manages to clear my backfield

I committed everything I had at Draigo and friends

There was little I could do to change the outcome

And Stephen sends his Warlord off the battlefield to net him 3VP 

While the rest of his army holds mine back

The Flyrants were really causing problems for the Grey Knights but they took apart the rest of my army
Bit by bit I lost more units

More Tyranids fell

Leaving me only with the Flyrants

Flyrants finally managed to down the Imperial Knight but it was too late
Stephen scored 1 VP for each unit in my table edge at the end of the game. He had 3 units and the 3VPs from the escaped Warlord. I had only managed to bring his Imperial Knight, Draigo and another unit of Terminators down for 3VPs.

The game was over and Stephen managed to score the win. He scored 8 Campaign Points for the Imperials.

I have learnt quite a bit from this game. Most importantly is that Monstrous Creatures do not work against Grey Knights. Always opt to bring some light creatures because they help tie the Terminators and Dreadknights up. With combined fire, the Imperial Knight can be killed.

Onwards and upwards! We will be preparing ourselves for the coming apoc this 26th April! Look for the next post! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...