Friday, January 11, 2013

Magnetizing the Hive Tyrant

Magnets. They are one of the best things to happen to our hobby in the recent years. Combined with the recent plastics, we have the ability to create models that will allow us the flexibility to create true modular solutions!

I already have two metal Hive Tyrants but when the new plastic one came out, I immediately ordered one. Love plastic! When I broke it out, I knew I wanted to have some modularity in the model. I built the model up and used rare earth magnets for it's second joint. This will allow me the flexibility to swap out the 3 main weapons I intend to work with:
  1. Twin linked brainleech devourers - 6th ed flavour of the month
  2. Lash whip and bonesword - traditional option
  3. Scything talons - cheap and cheery

I did not magnetize the wings due to how it connects with the rest of the model. I have taken the spare boneswords and Swarmlord head and will convert my current walking Tyrant into the Swarmlord. I may get another spare plastic Tyrant to create another modular walking Tyrant. 

Magnets all tucked away hidden

Pose for the camera please!

Plastic is a joy to work with. Tried drilling into metal, I went berserk

Magnetized option 1: Twin Linked Brainleech Devourers
The arm has not been puttied yet. I will be adding green stuff around the joint to conceal the magnet so it will be flush on the Tyrant's body.


Magnetized option 2: Lash Whip
I will post more pics once the putty is up and show you the swapped weapons. The beauty of magnets! 

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Yup they are. I put a post up a few weeks ago covering the conversion. Do take a look

      Delete
  2. Wow! The Flyrant is an imposing model! Very nice work on the magnetization.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...