Saturday, May 17, 2014

Batrep: Altansar Eldar vs Hive Fleet Behemoth

Fresh off the game with Marshall yesterday, I challenged him again to another game of 40k. This time I looked into the moves I made in the previous game and found the mistakes. From deployment to actual game play, I noticed a few mistakes. Confirming these moves, I consulted BatrepPat and he slammed home a few pointers for me. With changes in mind, I started this game differently. Enjoy the following batrep.

Eldar army list is the same from the previous game against Marshall. 

HQ
Farseer: Jetbike, Witchblade, Runes of Witnessing
Farseer: Jetbike, Witchblade, Runes of Witnessing

Troops
Dire Avengers x5: Wave Serpent (TL Scatter Laser, Shuriken Cannon, Holo Fields)
Guardians x10: Wave Serpent (TL Scatter Laser, Shuriken Cannon, Holo Fields)
Guardians x10: Wave Serpent (TL Scatter Laser, Shuriken Cannon, Holo Fields)
Jetbikers x3
Jetbikers x3
Jetbikers x3

Fast Attack
Warp Spiders x8
Warp Spiders x8

Heavy
War Walkers x3: Each armed with Bright Lances x2
Wraithknight: Heavy Wraithcannons x2
Marshall however changed out his list for something he preferred to use.

Tyranids (Marshall)
[Warlord] Hive Tyrant + Twin Linked Brainleech Devourer Worms + wings
Hive Tyrant + Twin Linked Brainleech Devourer Worms + wings

Hormagaunts x14
Hormagaunts x14
Termagants x30
Tervigon
Hive Crone
Hive Crone
Hive Crone
Biovore x3
Biovore x3
Trygon Prime

Psychic Powers:
Warlord - Horror, Paroxysm
Hive Tyrant - Dominion, Paroxysm
Tervigon - Dominion

Warlord Trait: Outflanking units have Acute Sense


Mission: Crusade
Deployment: Vanguard Strike

My Farseers rolled the following powers:
Warlord: Prescience, Eldritch Storm and Precognition; Inspiring Presence from Command Traits
Farseer 2: Prescience, Fortune and Forboding

Deployment: I learnt something - my Farseers kept dying too quickly. I needed them to be within units. Having 3 units of jetbikes meant I could use them for bodies. And that's what I changed this game.

We rolled for 1st Turn and I won the roll off. I chose to go first to get my jinx and powers up. Night Fight was on.

Eldar deployment with Seers in units of jetbikes



Tyranid Deployment
Turn 1
Kept both Seers within the back ranks and casted Prescience on the Wraithknight. Precog on the unit of jetbikes

Between Night Fighting and Cover, I managed a measly 2 wounds on the Crone. 

Marshall dropped Spore Mines into my lines in Turn 1 but failed to do significant damage. 
Turn 2
Dropped in my Spiders to attempt to destroy this Synapse and Troop next to the Objective

Walkers arrived together with a unit of jetbikes from Reserve. Jumped my Knight back into centre board to assist in taking out the FMC's

Spiders did 3 wounds and scattered in the Assault Phase

After concentrated fire I managed to down one Crone. 

In came more bugs from Reserve. Those Spiders are in doodoo

Unfortunately for Marshall, the 2 Vector Strikes did not do it's job. One Crone just missed all attacks while the other Shook the Serpent. 

The Tervigon birthed another unit of Gants

The Tyrant opened up on the Farseer taking out the jetbike unit. The Warlord suffered one wound

Precog really saved the Farseer this time

I doubt my Serpent would survive another round of Vector Strikes
Turn 3
Dropped in my other unit of Spiders to assist

Deployed my Guardians and Dire Avengers to contribute firepower. Moved the Farseer into the other unit of jetbikes

Jumped my Knight into the middle of the 3 Kaijus

Just epic

Deployed the other unit of Guardians and managed to reduce the Hormagaunt to 3

Concentrated all fire on the Flyrant and managed to bring him down.

Assaulted the Warlord with the Knight and managed to kill him off but took 1 wound in return

Marshall charged me in Turn 3 but only 1 survived the Overwatch

I had forgotten about the Trygon Prime in Reserve and in it came 

Marshall charged the Warp Spiders in an attempt to hold them back

I forgot to pull the Spiders out due to Hit and Run. Will remember. 
Turn 4
Turned to face the Trygon Prime

Moved the Guardians up to support the Spiders

After a round of shooting, the Prme goes down

Marshall kills off the other Spider unit

In his Turn 5, Marshall suddenly remembers his Crone in Ongoing Reserves! 

That swarm

Jumped out of combat in Marshall's turn
Turn 5
Moved my Avengers out of the way and opened up on the Crone

While the other half of the army goes for the other objective
I had forgotten there was a 3rd objective right next to me!

I managed to kill off the Tervigon and some Gants died in the explosion

Destroyed this Crone

Jumped the Spiders back to the Objective to contest

Took this objective
Marshall: Slay the Warlord 1
Ray: Slay the Warlord 1 + First Blood 1 + Line Breaker 1 + Objective 3 = 6

Victory to the Eldar!

It was interesting how a change in the list gave me some breathing room. I felt that I was in more control over this game too. The use of the Jetbikes as meatshields worked. While I am sure Marshall will come back with a vengeance, I am looking forward to the next game to see what horrors he will conjure.

Tally: 3-2: M-R

Stay tuned for the next game!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...