Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Batrep: Grey Knights (7th Edition Codex) vs Eldar 1850 Points

So it has been awhile since I played 40K and Marshall has been running around crushing people's heads in. Keeps going on about how only 1 person has consistently beaten him (i.e. me). Now that he's gone off to be his own man, he decided that it's time to throw the gauntlet down on the old man (i.e. me again). 




These are our armies:

Grey Knights
HQ
Librarian with Combi-melta, Nemesis Daemon Hammer, Terminator Armour

Elites
Purifier Squad with Nemesis Daemon Hammer, Nemesis Force Sword, 2x Psycannon
- Knight of the Flame with Nemesis Force Sword
- Rhino
Purifier Squad with Nemesis Daemon Hammer, Nemesis Force Sword, 2x Psycannon
- Knight of the Flame with Nemesis Force Sword
- Rhino

Purifier Squad with Nemesis Daemon Hammer, Nemesis Force Sword, 2x Psycannon
- Knight of the Flame with Nemesis Force Sword
- Rhino

Troops
Terminator Squad with Nemeiss Daemon Hammer, 4x Nemesis Force Sword and Psycannon

Fast Attack
Interceptor Squad with 2x Incinerator, 9x Nemesis Force Sword
- Interceptor Justicar with Nemesis Daemon Hammer and Teleport Homer

Interceptor Squad with 2x Incinerator, 9x Nemesis Force Sword
- Interceptor Justicar with Nemesis Daemon Hammer

Heavy
Nemesis Dreadknight with Heavy Incinerator, Heavy Psycannon and Personal Teleporter

Eldar
HQ
Farseer: Jetbike, Witchblade, Runes of Witnessing
Farseer: Jetbike, Witchblade, Runes of Witnessing

Troops
Dire Avengers x5: Wave Serpent (TL Scatter Laser, Shuriken Cannon, Holo Fields)
Guardians x10: Wave Serpent (TL Scatter Laser, Shuriken Cannon, Holo Fields)
Guardians x10: Wave Serpent (TL Scatter Laser, Shuriken Cannon, Holo Fields)
Jetbikers x3
Jetbikers x3
Jetbikers x3

Fast Attack
Warp Spiders x8
Warp Spiders x8

Heavy
War Walkers x3: Each armed with Bright Lances x2
Wraithknight: Heavy Wraithcannons x2

Mission: Cloak and Dagger
Deployment: Hammer and Anvil

Eldar Warlord rolled up these powers 

While the 2nd Seer rolled these up


Eldar deployment. I held two Spider units in Deep Strike and a jetbike unit in Reserve

Marshall placed his units up the deployment zone

Eldar took the first turn. Night Fight was in play and there was little I could do to kill except for 1 unit which promptly died to the last man and fled. 

Marshall then dropped in a unit of Terminators with the Librarian in the back end of my Deployment Zone

The rest of the Grey Knights move up. Marshall shunted a unit which really caught me by surprise because I didn't know that they could travel that fast. Thank goodness I played cautiously and kept my units in the back end. 

That flight stand was actually the Dreadknight which managed to destroy one Wave Serpent 

Marshall's Warlord trait almost forced my Warlord to flee the game! It forced me to use my lowest leadership which was 8. Thankfully I rolled low on the flee move leaving them at the edge of the table. 

In Turn 2, I knew I had to concentrate all my firepower into taking out that unit of Terminators who would otherwise wreak havoc in the backlines. Spewed out the Shuriken units and here we go

Meanwhile a unit of Spiders drop into the back end of the Grey Knight Deployment zone
Worth noting at this junction that I was focussed on accomplishing all my Tactical Objectives while Marshall was targetting all my units, eliminating them as he went along. I was on average capping 2 to 3 Objectives per turn.

I zoomed by other unit of Jetbikes forward hoping to reveal Objective 2 but then I found out later that Marshall had already done it! 

In response the Grey Knights turned their attention to the unit of Spiders in the back field and hosed them down to 2 men

His Rhino's were keeping him well alive

Marshall took them out with vengeance 

I managed to wipe the Terminators off and in Turn 3 started targeting the Dreadknight and two Rhinos

Popped the lead Rhino open forcing his men out

In trying to secure an Objective, I charged this unit in the hopes that I can destroy him to earn D3 VP. Instead he held fast and I was in trouble. 

Charged this unit with my Knight. In hindsight a mistake. I didn't have enough attacks and he was Fearless leaving my Knight locked in combat

Managed to kill off his Dreadknight. In the GK Turn 3, he advanced his Rhinos containing his Psykers to start doing their Novas which killed off my Guardians

Marshall charged into my back unit killing them

In my Turn 4 I sent my other unit of Spiders to kill off this unit of GK

I concentrated Guided War Walkers into his Rhino and out they popped

Destroyed the other Rhino as well. 

Meanwhile I sent my Farseers and retinue up the flank in trying to secure another Tactical Objective - D3 VP if I had 3 units or more within 12" of his Deployment Zone

Marshall then moved his men up to start taking out my Serpents
Worth noting that the Psychic powers of the Grey Knights are quite hard to match. As Eldar, I have always dominated the Psychic Phase but GK was able to out dice me every phase of the game, usually in the 17-20 Dice per phase.

They managed to toast one War Walker. The other two scurried away! 

Charged my Bikes into his lone man taking him out

At the end of Turn 5 

Went in to score another Tactical Objective

Marshall now had 5 men remaining


It was a desperate gamble by charging into my Knight. I managed to kill one and now Marshall had to choose who to lose. The Sergeant was behind but he also had the power to take down the Knight. 5" vs 6". Unfortunately He chose to kill off the 5" man and rolled a 5" for his charge. Ouch. 
We rolled for Turn 6 but came up a '2'. It was game over

We tallied Tactical Objectives and Secondary Objectives
Marshall: 6
Ray: 15

It was a landslide victory for the Eldar. 

In the aftermath, I still think that Marshall should have played for the Objectives and not try to kill the Eldar off. Maybe a few more games may help. After all, I am very familiar with my army. 

Hope you guys have a great week ahead. Now I hope my AC guy will come repair the damn unit. It's so bloody hot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...