Friday, August 22, 2014

Star Wars X-Wing Tournament: Tough Choice

Vick organised a 100 point tournament with an interesting twist. You bring two 100 point lists and your opponent gets to choose which one he wants to play against. You choose one of his lists as well. No duplicated unique pilots in either lists. You can bring unnamed ships but only 4 of each kind total in both lists. That's it! 

So I brought two lists:

3 rounds Swiss style. Highest points win using the new VP difference in the FAQ. Here are some pics from my games.  

First game played the previous Malaysian Regionals Champion. He chose Wookie Bees. It was quite a slow game as we deployed on both ends of the board. I knew he was trying to lure me in and use the Ion Cannons to pull me offboard so I did everything I could to hold back. He did the same and while other players were killing off ships, we were still moving 1 forward, 1 gentle. LOL! I almost lost Chewie but that one Evade counter saved me! Woot Millennium Falcon! We ended playing to time and I managed to kill off his Dagger Squadron B Wing and HWK netting me a 24 point win. 



My 2nd game was with of all people, Roy! He is my sparring partner and we were building lists together even the night before! You can see from above, we had almost mirror lists. He chose my 2014 Regionals List knowing that I practiced a lot with my Rebels recently. Echo is hard to pilot without practice and I landed all my ships on the Asteroids at least once. I flew like an idiot hence lost this one. Managed to down his Shuttle for my Echo. 

Final game was against a relatively newer player. He brought Vader in one of his lists and I was both puzzled and intimidated at the same time. I have tried flying Vader in his Advance before but could never quite make it work. Did he find a way to do it? I wanted to see hence I chose his list. Unfortunately it seemed that he didn't have enough experience flying the Interceptor allowing me to kill Soontir early game. I then gave chase with the 3 other ships and managed to table him. 100 point win to me. 
2 Wins, 1 Loss netted me the 4th position. I won a Y-Wing card, Academy card and Target Lock 4. Not bad for 4 hours of fun and $7.

Looking forward to the next one. There's also a chance that I may go up north to play at the Malaysian Nationals. With such a nice prize pack, I think the competition will be hot.

Sweet red templates and target locks! 
On a sidenote, I am quite disappointed that Singapore failed to get our own Nationals. Rumour has it that our Distributor failed to secure the pack due to some sales targets but I don't know how much this is true. Still wish they would forget the politics and just focus on the game.

I will be back with more reports! X Wing caught me in it's wings and I am in love with this game. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...