Sunday, May 20, 2018

GREX 3v3 Tournament

It was all a bit hazy but wow, Zim, Mark and myself just returned from Singapore's biggest tournament. We had 42 people in attendance. Using the ITC ruleset, this was held at RELC Hotel. The terrain was well organized and most of the tables had great amount of cover and LOS blocking terrain. Certain tables even had themed terrain such as the Necron pyramid and the Martian table. Very well done. 

The three of us, Mark (who is also a regular contributor to this blog), Zim and myself entered as a team. Originally it was meant to be Jason but he had a wedding to attend and Zim graciously stepped in to fill in for Jason. Zim is strategically sound and plays very good 40k. Mark has many tricks and great modelling skills. I am just eye candy (my models, not me). 

Those who read the previous weeks' tournament would have realised how my games tanked, with me being tabled twice and losing another. Unfortunately I had little time so I brought the same list to this tournament, prepared to go down in blaze of glory. My brief to the guys was to just send me in the grinder.  

Amazing turnout! 
This tourney pits teams of 3 against another team of 3. Each player nominates a Champion in secret and roll off. The loser declares their player and the opponent responds, pitting another suitable player to counter the other player. In effect this created a situation where we could not really affect the match ups too much. Each player would field 1000 points and fight using the ITC ruleset.

Here's my list which mirrors exactly last week's list:
++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - FW Adeptus Astartes) [67 PL, 1000pts] ++

+ HQ +
Captain [6 PL, 129pts]: 2. Artisan of War, Jump Pack, Storm shield, The Angel's Wing (replaces jump pack), Thunder hammer, Warlord

Lemartes [7 PL, 129pts]

+ Troops +
Scout Squad [4 PL, 55pts]
. Scout: Astartes shotgun
. Scout: Astartes shotgun
. Scout: Astartes shotgun
. Scout: Astartes shotgun
. Scout Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Boltgun

Scout Squad [4 PL, 55pts]
. Scout: Astartes shotgun
. Scout: Astartes shotgun
. Scout: Astartes shotgun
. Scout: Astartes shotgun
. Scout Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Boltgun

Scout Squad [4 PL, 55pts]
. Scout: Astartes shotgun
. Scout: Astartes shotgun
. Scout: Astartes shotgun
. Scout: Astartes shotgun
. Scout Sergeant: Bolt pistol, Boltgun

+ Elites +
Death Company [18 PL, 218pts]: Jump Pack
. Death Company Marine: Bolt pistol, Power axe
. Death Company Marine: Bolt pistol, Power axe
. Death Company Marine: Bolt pistol, Power sword
. Death Company Marine: Bolt pistol, Power sword
. Death Company Marine: Bolt pistol and chainsword
. Death Company Marine: Bolt pistol and chainsword
. Death Company Marine: Bolt pistol and chainsword
. Death Company Marine: Bolt pistol and chainsword
. Death Company Marine: Bolt pistol and chainsword
. Death Company Marine: Bolt pistol and chainsword

Relic Sicaran Battle Tank [14 PL, 185pts]: Heavy bolter
. Two heavy bolters: 2x Heavy bolter

+ Dedicated Transport +
Razorback [5 PL, 87pts]: Twin heavy bolter

Razorback [5 PL, 87pts]: Twin heavy bolter

++ Total: [67 PL, 1000pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe (https://battlescribe.net)

Mark
++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Chaos - Chaos Space Marines) [71 PL, 1000pts] ++
+ No Force Org Slot +
Legion: Iron Warriors

+ HQ [11 PL, 182pts] +
Chaos Lord with Jump Pack [6 PL, 104pts]: Mark of Khorne, Plasma pistol [7pts], Power sword [4pts], The Murder Sword
Warpsmith [5 PL, 78pts]: Cold and Bitter, Combi-bolter [2pts], Flamer [9pts], Mark of Slaanesh, Meltagun [17pts], Power axe [5pts], Warlord

+ Troops [20 PL, 251pts] +
Chaos Cultists [12 PL, 136pts]: 33x Chaos Cultist w/ Autogun [132pts], Mark of Slaanesh
. Cultist Champion [4pts]: Autogun

Chaos Cultists [3 PL, 40pts]: 9x Chaos Cultist w/ Autogun [36pts], Mark of Slaanesh
. Cultist Champion [4pts]: Autogun

Chaos Space Marines [5 PL, 75pts]: Mark of Slaanesh
. Aspiring Champion [13pts]: Boltgun, Chainsword
. 3x Marine w/ Boltgun [39pts]
. Marine w/ heavy weapon [23pts]: Heavy bolter [10pts]
+ Elites [16 PL, 228pts] +
Helbrute [7 PL, 112pts]: Missile launcher [25pts], No Chaos Mark, Reaper autocannon [15pts]

Khorne Berzerkers [9 PL, 116pts]
. Berzerker Champion [24pts]: Chainaxe [1pts], Plasma pistol [7pts]
. Chainaxe and plasma pistol [24pts]: Chainaxe [1pts], Plasma pistol [7pts]
. 4x Chainsword and Chainaxe [68pts]: 4x Chainaxe [4pts]

+ Fast Attack [10 PL, 130pts] +Hellforged Dreadclaw Drop Pod [10 PL, 130pts]
+ Heavy Support [14 PL, 209pts] +
Havocs [10 PL, 133pts]: Mark of Slaanesh
. Aspiring Champion [13pts]: Bolt pistol, Boltgun
. 2x Havoc w/ boltgun [26pts]
. Havoc w/ heavy weapon [28pts]: Autocannon [15pts]
. Havoc w/ heavy weapon [28pts]: Autocannon [15pts]
. Havoc w/ heavy weapon [38pts]: Missile launcher [25pts]

Hellforged Rapier Battery [4 PL, 76pts]
. Hellforged Rapier and crew [4 PL, 76pts]: 2x Chaos Space Marine Crew [20pts], Quad heavy bolter [36pts]

++ Total: [71 PL, 1000pts] ++
Created with BattleScribe (https://battlescribe.net)


Zim++ Supreme Command Detachment +1CP (Imperium - Adeptus Custodes) [26 PL, 477pts] ++
+ No Force Org Slot +
Open the Vaults (1 Relic)

+ HQ [26 PL, 477pts] +
Shield Captain in Allarus Terminator Armor [8 PL, 142pts]: Guardian Spear [12pts]
Shield-Captain on Dawneagle Jetbike [9 PL, 175pts]: Auric Aquilis, Salvo Launcher [25pts], Warlord
Shield-Captain on Dawneagle Jetbike [9 PL, 160pts]: Eagle's Eye, Hurricane Bolter [10pts]

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Adeptus Ministorum) [35 PL, 523pts] +++ HQ [18 PL, 297pts] +
Canoness [4 PL, 47pts]: Chainsword, Storm bolter [2pts]
Celestine [14 PL, 250pts]: Celestine [8 PL, 200pts], 2x Geminae Superia [6 PL, 50pts]

+ Troops [12 PL, 141pts] +Battle Sister Squad [4 PL, 47pts]: 4x Battle Sister [36pts]
. Sister Superior [11pts]: Bolt pistol, Storm bolter [2pts]
Battle Sister Squad [4 PL, 47pts]: 4x Battle Sister [36pts]
. Sister Superior [11pts]: Bolt pistol, Storm bolter [2pts]

Battle Sister Squad [4 PL, 47pts]: 4x Battle Sister [36pts]
. Sister Superior [11pts]: Bolt pistol, Storm bolter [2pts]

+ Heavy Support [5 PL, 85pts] +Retributor Squad [5 PL, 85pts]
. Retributor Superior [9pts]: Bolt pistol, Boltgun
. Retributor w/ Heavy Weapon [19pts]: Heavy bolter [10pts]
. Retributor w/ Heavy Weapon [19pts]: Heavy bolter [10pts]
. Retributor w/ Heavy Weapon [19pts]: Heavy bolter [10pts]
. Retributor w/ Heavy Weapon [19pts]: Heavy bolter [10pts]
++ Total: [61 PL, 1000pts] ++
Created with BattleScribe (https://battlescribe.net)



Game 1
I was paired up with Gerard who plays Drukhari. His build was interesting, bringing 2 Talos', 1 Chronos Pain Engine, Haemonculus, Archon, 2 Ravagers, 1 Raider, 5 Warriors and two units of 5 Sourges. 

Deployment - my game vs Gerard
Knowing that Gerard has Scourges coming in with some anti tank, I set up my Scouts wide on both flanks to prevent him from getting them within range. The Relic was in play as Eternal War so the first drop was my Scouts on the Relic. Securing it early game was important. Gerard responded by sending his Talos bunch up to contest by eliminating the Scouts.  The few highlights for me was the Talos eliminating enough Scouts so that it meant his Pain Engine was outside combat at the end of his First Turn. This allowed my Sicaran and Razorback to eliminate it. At the same time, another Talos charged my other unit of Scouts on my right flank which then reduced the Talos' toughness to it's base of 6 as the Haemonculus was out of the 6" range. I dropped my Death Company during my first turn and charged into the Talos which was engaged with my Scouts, not only managing to kill the Talos but also gave me enough movement to follow up and move Lemartes onto the Relic at the end of Turn 2. It was also then that I realised that we were going to tie the game. Slamguinus was my only chance of breaking the tie so I dropped him 11" away from the Archon as he was surrounded by Warriors. I took my Sicaran and eliminated the Warriors, dropped 2 CP for Descent of Angels. The swung but the Archon was limping on 1 wound. I then used Honour the Chapter to let Slamguinus go again and this time killed the Archon off.

As we only managed to get to Turn 2 due to time limits, it meant we only got Turn 1 Scores for Maelstrom. Gerard managed to win Maelstrom while I had the Relic. We both managed to get First Strike.

It was my first victory with this list! A marginal win of 10-9.

Mark vs Lum on my right

Zim vs Rai on my left.
Zim won and Mark tied. Our team managed to secure our first win.

It was then time for a short break while the TO's went about scoring our armies. The following are army shots.


Zim did a great job! 

My own army

The pop on those horses are amazing! Great contrast














I was pretty sure this army would win the Best Painted award







This was also another one of my top choices for Best Painted








Game 2
I was paired up with a Jokoh as my 2nd opponent. He brought an Ultramarine army which was centered around the Leviathan Dread. A nasty 20 shots, it could rip apart any of my vehicles with ease. Discussing it with the team, we had concluded that me facing the Ultramarine list was the most suitable as I had Slamguinus which could deal with the Dread. He also brought Celestine which was a troublemaker.
Just after deployment

Celestine and that Dread are a nasty combo
This game went on much faster and we got to Turn 5. The biggest highlight was when Jo moved Celestine to capture the Retrieval marker instead of Objective 1 - this puzzled me as I thought he had a bigger plan. At the start of Turn 5 he realised the mistake but by then it had allowed Slamguinus to not only kill off the Dread but also kill off his Warlord and Lieutenant.

Lemartes and Slamguinus at work
I won Maelstrom, we drew on Eternal War, we both scored Slay the Warlord. I got Linebreaker, but he got Big Game Hunter. I managed a 14-6 victory!

We checked the results and Zim won while Mark lost to his opponent. That meant we still won as a team so that was 2 Wins so far.

Game 3
Our last opponents were Ben, Fauzi and Chiyong. I was paired up with Chiyong who brought a nasty 12 Destroyer list with a Catacomb Command Barge in tow.

I risked my Sicaran to push his Destroyers back in order to give my Scouts some breathing room. 
In the opening salvo I had some pretty good luck, removing 3 of the Destroyers in one turn of shooting and Chiyong was unable to resurrect them. The Sicaran had really put some fear into Chiyong and he was now very wary. Highlights of the game was probably when I had to burn Honour the Chapter in order to reduce the second unit of Destroyers mid game. Chiyong was already going for the Kill Points (which was based on Power Level) so I had to find a tie breaker. His CCB was impossible to kill as it had some invert armor save gear. This meant that I had to throw my Death Co at the CCB but when the bounced off, I had to take King of the Hill.

At the end it was a tie as Chiyong won Eternal War while I managed to secure Maelstrom. He managed to get Slay the Warlord while I got King of the Hill. It was a really good game and we went on as old friends did.


Zim vs Fauzi

Mark vs Ben
At the end, Zim had won his game and Mark just had to score 2 points for us to come on top. Unfortunately we managed to secure only 1 so we came in the Runner Up!

Go team T&D!
Props goes out to the organizers for such a well oiled event. The tables were full of quality terrain, great mats and theme. Really amazing. With such a huge turnout, I hope this success will continue and maybe one day, we can play at a convention centre like Suntec or Singapore Expo. I am really looking forward to that day.


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...